Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Bella's Hat *Free Pattern* (Twilight)

****UPDATE****
Yay! This hat is now on GEEK CRAFTS :D

Ok so I was in my dreamy (OMG I can't wait till New Moon comes out) state (Yes I am a 26 year old Twilight mom. Don't judge :P) and I decided to try and make Bella's La Push hat. First I decided to check and see if anyone else had made it. Yep it had been done but what did I find wrong with the patterns? They left out the top ring. (You can see it in this picture)


I am obsessed with details, as some of you may know, so that just bugged the heck out of me. I had to do something. So I made this hat. Unfortunately even in my obsessive state of mind I can't control the fact that Walmart doesn't carry the right color of Grey grrrrrrrrr. So I just made a purple one. Since the movie is coming out soon I decided to post the pattern so you all can enjoy it :D
Sorry for the horrible pics of my head but it is really hard to take pics of yourself in the bathroom mirror lol

NOTE: if you don't know what fpdc or bpdc is just check out some videos on youtube or nextstitch it is really easy.

Bella's Hat Pattern
by: AprilDraven
for personal use only

Gauge: 4 inches = 12 stitches and 8 rows
My head size is 22 and a half inches around so adjust your hook size accordingly. Remember yarn stretches a little bit so this hat will fit inches bigger too.

Yarn: regular 4 ply worsted yarn

Hook size: H/8-5.00MM

Abbreviation meanings:
Rnd: round
Ch: chain
Dc: double crochet
Fpdc: Front post double crochet
Bpdc: Back post double crochet
Ss: slip stitch
Fpsc: Front Post single crochet
FO: Fasten off

Ch 1 or use magic circle, Ch 2
Rnd 1: 12 dc in ring, join with 1 ss, (ch 2 doesn’t count as a dc) (12)
Rnd 2: ch 2, * 2fpdc around next dc, 1 dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (18)
Rnd 3: ch 2, * 2 fpdc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (24)
Rnd 4: ch 2, * 2 fpdc, 1 dc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (30)
Rnd 5: ch 2, * 2 fpdc, 2 dc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (36)
Rnd 6: ch 2, *2 fpdc, 3 bpdc, 2 bpdc around next dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (42)
Rnd 7: ch 2, *2 fpdc, 4 dc, 2dc in next dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (48)
Rnd 8: ch 2, *2 fpdc, 5 dc, 2dc in next dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (54)
Rnd 9: ch 2, *2 fpdc, 6 dc, 2dc in next dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (60)
Rnd 10: ch 2, *2 fpdc, 7 dc, 2dc in next dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (66)
Rnd 11: ch 2, *2fpdc, 9 dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (66)
Rnd 12: ch 2, * 2fpdc, 9bpdc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (66)
Rnd 13-17: ch 2, *2 fpdc, 9 dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (66)
Rnd 18: ch 2, * 2fpdc, 9 bpdc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (66)
Rnd 19: ch 1, *2fpsc, 9 ss* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss, FO (66)




Here is a pattern for people with bigger heads

Ch 1 or use magic circle, Ch 2
Rnd 1: 12 dc in ring, join with 1 ss, (ch 2 doesn’t count as a dc) (12)
Rnd 2: ch 2, * 2fpdc around next dc, 1 dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (18)
Rnd 3: ch 2, * 2 fpdc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (24)
Rnd 4: ch 2, * 2 fpdc, 1 dc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (30)
Rnd 5: ch 2, * 2 fpdc, 2 dc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (36)
Rnd 6: ch 2, * 2 fpdc, 3 dc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (42)
Rnd 7: ch 2, *2 fpdc, 4 bpdc, 2 bpdc around next dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (48)
Rnd 8: ch 2, *2 fpdc, 5 dc, 2dc in next dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (54)
Rnd 9: ch 2, *2 fpdc, 6 dc, 2dc in next dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (60)
Rnd 10: ch 2, *2 fpdc, 7 dc, 2dc in next dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (66)
Rnd 11: ch 2, *2 fpdc, 8 dc, 2dc in next dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (72)
Rnd 12&13: ch 2, *2fpdc, 10 dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (72)
Rnd 14: ch 2, * 2fpdc, 10bpdc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (72)
Rnd 15-20: ch 2, *2 fpdc, 10 dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (72)
Rnd 21: ch 2, * 2fpdc, 10 bpdc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (72)
Rnd 22: ch 1, *2fpsc, 10 ss* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss, FO (72)



**********************************************************************
Creative Commons License
This work by April Folts is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

*******************************************************************************
Any donations are welcome and appreciated.





42 comments:

Unique2wh0 said...

Great hat..I know it is hard finding good colors at Walmart, but I think your purple one is awesome!! Congrats on being featured on Geek Crafts that is way cool!!

AprilDraven said...

Thanks! I'm excited about Geek Crafts feature. I can't wait till tomorrow :D

Shawna said...

Hurray for "twenty something" Twilight Moms!!! (I'm one too. :> )
I'm totally going to have to make this to wear to New Moon, hee hee. Keep up the awsome work!!

Unknown said...

Lion Brand Vanna's Choice color 151 Charcoal Grey looks to be a good match for the color, and, you know, cheap. I'm going to try it out and it'll be raveled! Thanks for your attention to detail :)

LobotoME said...

FUN!

Megan said...

Hi! Thanks for the tutorial. I'm working on mine right now but the hat is way too small for my head. I think maybe I stitch too tight? What size yarn did you use? I have a regular type yarn, not a thick kind. Maybe it would be better if I switched to that? like the homespun band you talked about? Thanks again!

megan.nadalet@gmail .com

Mandie said...

Did you ever get a swap for the mittens? I'm working on a pair now and would be interested in swapping!

AprilDraven said...

nope I never got them. That would be awesome if you wanted to swap :D

Mandie said...

awesome! Email me and we can plan the details :)
mandiehoffman@gmail.com

Lori said...

Thank you for the pattern. I will get some color to match today. I was wonder though. I am not into the Twilight as much as my Daughter and DIL but was there not a slouchy type of hat too ? I just seem to remember like one and it is rainy in the front of her house ??? Just curious. I hate to ask my Daughter as she might think something is up.
Thanks again.
Lori

AprilDraven said...

Thanks! I don't think she wore another hat, I could be wrong. I know Jacob wore one and I think Rosalie wore a white one but I am not positive on that one. I tend to only pay attention to crocheted stuff and ignore the knitted stuff.

Crochetin Feonix said...

April,
I am a 30 something "Twilight mom" LOL. Thanks for the pattern. I will have to make it for my 12 yo daughter.

Laura said...

I am a 60 year old retired Twilight mom. My son is grown and gone on his own. I made the first hat you mentioned you found for my cousin's youngest girl. She loved it. Now I'll make her yours to wear to the New Moon Opening. Thanks for the great patterns. And your attention to detail. LOL.

Laura

AprilDraven said...

Thanks! I hope she likes it as much as the other one

Unknown said...

Just finished the hat the other day. It turned out perfectly; it really fits me well. Thanks for the really easy to follow instructions. That dark gray is kind of hard to find; the Vanna yarn was sold out when I went to AC Moore. I did mine in Simply Soft in a plum heather.

AprilDraven said...

Thanks! I didn't think to use Simply Soft. If you want to get the darker gray you can order it off of the Lion Brand yarn website. Slate Gray. That is what I eventually ended up doing.

Unknown said...

I hope someone can help me. I am new to reading patterns. I need some clarification on the stitch placement. It says "3 BPDC" in the next dc. Is that meaning to do that stitch in the same stitch? Usually patterns will state in the next dc or ss or skip. If I try to do it as written it just doesnt look right and It's really making me nuts! HELP!!! =)

AprilDraven said...

Gloria:

Rnd 6: ch 2, *2 fpdc, 3 bpdc, 2 bpdc around next dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (42)

you are on Rnd 6 right?
It doesn't say "3 BPDC" in the next dc.

It says 3 bpdc then to do 2 bpdc around the next dc.

I think you were just reading it wrong. I do that sometimes too and it frustrates me so bad lol

Unknown said...

Okay lets say for kicks and giggles I am on Rnd 3:

Rnd 3: ch 2, * 2 fpdc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (24)

Where it says 2 fpdc, 2 dc in next dc ~ am I doing all that in ONE chain space? OR....is it fpdc in the next 2 chain spaces and then dc in the next two spaces? Am I making sense? LOL. I am so sorry, and so appreciate the patience. Its my first hat. I am ripping out my hair. =(

April...speak to me like I'm two! And thank you so much for your help.

AprilDraven said...

Gloria:

Ok let me write it different

Round 3: chain 2, * 1 fpdc, 1 fpdc, inc in the next dc* repeat from * to * around, join with 1 ss (24)

assume you put 1 in each stitch unless specified differently. When you are supposed to put 2 stitches in 1 space it will say so. Ex. round 2: 2 dc in next dc
which is the same as saying increase 1 or
2 dc in same stitch

Those are 3 ways of saying the same thing. I hope this made sense to you.

Unknown said...

I SEE! I get it!!! I'm ON IT! lol...thank you so much April! Its going exactly like it should. Sometimes newbies just need a little nudge in the right direction!

Anne said...

I LOVE this pattern!!! I made it and you can view it at

http://floralshowers.com/crochet/hat-frenzy/

(it is the very bottom one!)

Thanks so much for the pattern! You are awesome!

Kayla Brink said...

hiya April -
I showed my mom your pattern for the hat and she said "oh wouldn't that be nice for so-and-so." Thus she began to make some for my sister and her friends.... sniffle... i was the one who wanted one. finally she throws something at me and says enjoy! I have one of my OWN! Here is how her's turned out.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/kaylamew/bellahat5.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/kaylamew/bellahat5.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/kaylamew/bellahat4.jpg
(i didn't try the pattern yet, i was going to, but it's always nice getting something made by someone else)

AprilDraven said...

Anne: Thanks for showing me a pic. Looks Great!

Kayla: Such a sweet story :) I'm glad you got your hat afterall

BJ said...

this is great my s-i-l and niece are huge twilight fans they are gonna love these. thank you for posting your pattern looks the most like the movie's and you wrote it well.

Tessel said...

Nice hat! I think you kinda look like jessica *anna kendrick* in the photos :)

GemaStarlight said...

Hi ^^
I really love your blog, it's so cool.
When I have time, I'm gonna do a bella's hat like this ^^
Thank you so much for all the patterns, now I can do many things ^^
Thanks

AprilDraven said...

Tessel: Thanks :) I guess I kind of do look a little like her in these pics haha.

Hema-chan: Thanks :) I'm glad you enjoy them :D

timboctou said...

great hat!! I made it :) thank you for the pattern!!

AprilDraven said...

You're Welcome :)

Anonymous said...

Hi April,

I haven't ever used a pattern before that has the FPDC & I just wanted to ask a question to be totally sure, in round 2 are you wanting us to do fpdc, fpdc & then dc or are we suppose to do a fpdc twics in the first dc? I hope that makes sense!

I love the hat & can't WAIT to make one for my mom & myself!!

AprilDraven said...

Rnd 2: ch 2, * 2fpdc around next dc, 1 dc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss (18)

this means

ch 2,*2fpdc in the same stitch (this is an increase with fpdc)then 1 dc in the next stitch* then repeat the pattern around, Join with 1 ss

I hope that helps :)

CureBlack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Connie said...

I think I like yours better than the one in the movie!

AprilDraven said...

Thanks Connie :)

Carissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carissa said...

April, Thank you so much for sharing your patterns. It is a joy to read your blog, witness your creativity, and share in the fun. I am making the Bella hat now. I haven't decided who on my gift list is the biggest Twilight fan. I might even keep this one for myself. That would be a first. I have also made from your patterns the convertable hat and something close to the slouch hat. I added a couple rows of the cable stitch my grandmother taught me...I like to keep my crochet mentor close that way. :) Anyway, Thank you so much for the joy you bring to me. It just needed to be said. Blessings on you. Carissa

AprilDraven said...

Thank You :)

CureBlack said...

Hi! Nice pattern! I just got the heather Grey they carry at wal mart. I'll try it and see how it turns out.

Nina said...

I just recently found your blog & am literally a beginner. (only made 1 other item myself, a small pillow) I am huge twilight fan & so are my friends & sis, so I recently got a couple different colors to try to make Bella's hat. Couple different times. If I do it right the hat can be gifts, if not I can turn it into something else & give that as a gift. Practice makes perfect.

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting your pattern for free. I also noticed that other patterns left the top ring off, I'm off to try this right now!

If it turns out well, I will post and make sure to credit you for the pattern!

Raquel said...

This is a really fantastic pattern! Thanks for being generous and sharing it for free =) Be well and blessed be.