Saturday, January 9, 2010

Valentine's Day Project 2010

I know this might sound weird but it all started when I was heating a bowl of Oatmeal and burnt my hands on the bowl. I figured that I should make a bowl cozy so that wouldn't happen again lol. After I made it I thought about what other purposes it could have. It can be a bowl on it's own, You can cinch it up and give it as a gift, use it to decorate a bowl, use it as a bowl cover for a floating candle, and much more. Valentine's day is coming up so I wanted to make something cheap and have it look cool. I got a so-be bottle and crocheted around it for a vase. Then I decided to add stuffed hearts. I wanted to personalize it more so I gave one of the hearts a pocket (the red one) so I can add a note to it. I braided a cord and attached it to the hearts then onto the bottle. Then I crocheted a heart coffee cozy. I figured we could have coffee and soup for Valentine's day instead of chocolate. (hey I have to try to stay on a diet and this is a perfect alternative) What do you think?



















Hooks: H hook and 3.25 mm hook for the hearts

Yarn: 100% acrylic, Worsted Weight, 4 ply yarn

Abbreviations:
Ch: chain
Rnd: round
sc: single crochet
dc: double crochet
Fpdc: Front post double crochet
Bpdc: Back Post double crochet
Ss: slip stitch
FO: Fasten off


Bowl Cozy
Work in the round using a marker
Rnd 1: Work 8 sc in a ring
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc (16)
Rnd 3: *Sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc*, rep from * to * around (24)
Rnd 4: *Sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc*, rep from * to * around (32)
Rnd 5: *Sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc*, rep from * to * around (40)
Rnd 6: 1 Sc in each sc around (1 round)
Rnd 7: *Sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc*, rep from * to * around (48)
Rnd 8: 1 Sc in each sc around (1 round)
Rnd 9: *Sc in next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc*, rep from * to * around (56)
join with 1 ss
No longer worked in the round
Rnd 10: ch 1, 1 hdc in each sc around, join with 1 ss
Rnd 11-17: ch 2, *1 fpdc, 1 bpdc* rep from * to * around (7 rounds)
weave a ribbon around the top if desired :)



Bottle Cozy:
Work in the round using a marker
Rnd 1: Work 8 sc in first ch
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc (16)
Rnd 3: *Sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc*, rep from * to * around (24)
Rnd 4: *Sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc*, rep from * to * around (32)
Rnd 5-33: 1 sc in each sc around, Join with 1 ss (28 rounds)
Rnd 34: ch 3, sk 2, 2 sc *ch 2, sk 2, 2 sc* rep from * to * around, join 1 ss
FO and Weave ribbon or something around to cinch it up.



Hearts
Use 3.25 mm Hook:
hump (make 2)
Work in the round using a marker
Rnd 1: Work 8 sc a ring
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc (16)
Rnd 3: *Sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc*, rep from * to * around (24)
Rnd 4-9: 1 sc in each sc around, ss 1, FO
sew middles together 5 stitches
Rnd 1: sc around entire piece (42 stitches)
Rnd 2: *Sc in next 4 sc, Sc2tog*, rep from * to * around (35)
Rnd 3: 1 sc in each sc around (1 round)
Rnd 4: *Sc in next 3 sc, Sc2tog*, rep from * to * around (28)
Rnd 5: 1 sc in each sc around (1 round)
Rnd 6: *Sc in next 2 sc, Sc2tog*, rep from * to * around (21)
Rnd 7: 1 sc in each sc around (1 round)
Stuff
Rnd 8: *1 Sc in next sc, Sc2tog*, rep from * to * around (14)
Rnd 9: 1 sc in each sc around (1 round)
Rnd 10: sc2tog 11 times, ss 1, FO
pocket
Not worked in the round
Row 1: 2 sc in ring, ch 1 turn (2)
Row 2: 2 sc in each stitch, ch 1, turn (4)
Row 3: sc in each sc, ch 1, turn (4)
Row 4: 2 sc in next stitch, 2 sc, 2 sc in next stitch, ch 1, turn (6)
Row 5: 1 sc in each sc, ch 1, turn (1 row)
Row 6: 2 sc in next stitch, 4 sc, 2 sc in next stitch, ch 1, turn ( 8 )
Row 7: 1 sc in each sc, ch 1, turn (1 row)
Row 8: 2 sc in next stitch, 6 sc, 2 sc in next stitch, ch 1, turn (10)
Row 9: 1 sc in each sc, ch 1, turn (1 row)
Row 10: 2 sc in next stitch, 8 sc, 2 sc in next stitch, ch 1, turn (12)
Row 11: 1 sc in each sc, ch 1, turn (1 row)
Row 12: 2 sc in next stitch, 10 sc, 2 sc in next stitch, ch 1, turn (14)
Row 13: 1 sc in each sc, ch 1, turn (1 row)
FO and sew on to heart, put whatever you want into the pocket and then weave a ribbon through the heart and pocket to keep it shut.


Heart Coffee Cozy:
USE 3.25 MM Hook



Rnd 1: Work 8 sc in circle
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc (16)
Rnd 3: *Sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc*, rep from * to * around (24)
Rnd 4: *Sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc*, rep from * to * around (32)
Rnd 5: *Sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc*, rep from * to * around (40)
Rnd 6-9: Sc in each sc around (4 rounds) at the end of the last round ss 1, ch 1, turn
Row 1: 20 sc, start pink on pattern, when you get to the end of this row, ch 1 and turn.

Row 2-14: sc in each sc continuing pattern. At the end of each row ch 1, turn.

Strap:
sc 4 down side, ch 1 turn (repeat 3 more times)
1 sc, ch 2, sk 2, 1 sc, ch 1 turn (this forms hole for button)
sc2tog 2 times, ch 1, turn
sc2tog 1 time, Fo
Attach trim color and sc around border all the way around, *when you get to the tip of the strap put 3 stitches in the tip*
Sew button on where it will be really tight. You don't want it to slide off when you pick it up to take a drink ;)

12 comments:

Gloria P. said...

very nice.

Anonymous said...

oh pretty, love them

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

This cracks me up. I burnt my hand on a soup bowl this morning! I then carried the bowl over to the table where my husband was working and said, "don't touch the bowl, it's hot." Of course, he reached out and grabbed it with both hands. ARGH! We both need your pretty cozies! That kale and barley soup was sooo good though. Totally worth it. =)

Unique2wh0 said...

Well, I think they are just grand April!! You could even put a few treats or something in the cup for Valentines Day too! For me in my cup I want Starbucks giftcard LOL~~ I am bad!
Love them all!

AprilDraven said...

Gloria P. & Renee: Thanks!

Rachel: LOL you know my pain :) I just got sick and tired of burning myself everytime I made something hot in the microwave then having to wait for the bowl to cool down. By the time the bowl cools down you only have a certain amount of time to eat it at that perfect temperature. *sigh* Let me know how it goes with your own bowl cozies ;)

Unique2wh0: Thanks! I think I am going to make my husband some form of stuffed animal and maybe a Movie gift card :) so many ideas. I wish we had a Starbucks around here :(

Debbie Jean said...

SO cute! Thanks for sharing the patterns! Im going to make the bowl cozy for my mom for vday

AprilDraven said...

awesome. I hope she likes it :)

H.C.Paye said...

Love this Valentine's crochet set, all are very creative! I'm always looking for something to do for the loved one for Valentine's Day so this is definitely a great idea!

AprilDraven said...

Thanks :) I'm glad you like it

La Xarochita said...

so cute, greetings!!

AprilDraven said...

Thank You :)

Rachel@AllFreeHolidayCrafts said...

Hi April,

I love all of these ideas and patterns! You are so creative! I just linked to you from my site:

http://www.allfreeholidaycrafts.com/Crochet-for-Valentines-Day/Valentines-Crochet-Cozy-Set

Let me know if that's okay and if I can link to other patterns of yours in the future.

Thanks!
Rachel@AllFreeHolidayCrafts