Monday, February 8, 2010

9 Crochet Doll

I am still on my crochet hiatus, but I had to crochet this 9 doll. This is from Tim Burton & Timur Bekmambetov's movie 9. I saw the movie and fell in love. At first I made 9 without a black mouth and then my daughter told me to give him a black mouth. I think it looks good both ways. I can't decide which I like better :) He was defiantly a challenge. What do you think?















*Note: This pattern hasn't been tested yet so if you run into any problems let me know and I will do my best to help*

9

By: AprilDraven

for personal use only

3.25 MM hook

Yarn: Worsted 4 ply yarn.

Abbreviations:
Ch: chain
Rnd: round
Sc: single crochet
sc2tog: Single Crochet 2 together or Decrease 1
Ss: slip stitch
sk: skip
FO: Fasten off

Arms (Make 2)

Rnd 1: with magic circle Ch 1, 4 sc in ring (4)
Rnd 2: 4 sc around (4)
Rnd 3: 2 sc in each sc (8)
Rnd 4-12: sc in each sc around (9 rounds)
1 ss, FO
set aside

Legs (make 2)

Rnd 1: with magic circle Ch 1, 4 sc in ring (4)
Rnd 2: 4 sc around (4)
Rnd 3: 2 sc in each sc (8)
Rnd 4: 8 sc around (8)
Rnd 5: *1 sc, 2 sc in next sc* rep from * to * around (12)
Rnd 6: 12 sc around (12)
Rnd 7: *2 sc, 2 sc in next sc* rep from * to * around (16)
Rnd 8-14: 16 sc around (7 rounds)
1 ss, FO

hold the two legs together and attach yarn to one leg.
12 sc, ch 6, then join to other leg anywhere, ch 1, 12 sc, ch 6,
then join to where you started. This should form a circle with the legs attached.

ch 1, 38 sc, add marker, sew middle 3 stitches together then sew the inner holes to the legs.
Your work should be one piece now.

*NOTE: If this is too hard just chain 38 sc and make the entire body then sew the middle 3 stitches together and then sew the

legs on.*

Body

Rnd 1-4: Sc in each sc (4 rounds, 38 stitches)
Rnd 5: *3 sc, sc2tog* rep from * to * around (31)
Rnd 6: sc in each sc around (1 round)
Rnd 7: *4 sc, sc2tog* rep from * to * around (at the end section of the pattern dec 1, 1 sc)
Rnd 8&9: sc in each sc around (2 rounds)
Rnd 10: *5 sc, sc2tog* rep from * to * around (23)
Rnd 11-13: sc in each sc around (3 rounds)
ss 1, FO

sew 4 stitches of the arm to the side of the body, repeat to the other side.
Rnd 1: join with 1 ss to back of neck area. Sc around entire piece. This forms the shoulders. (36)
Rnd 2: *2 sc, sc2tog* rep from * to * around
Rnd 3: *1 sc, sc2tog* rep from * to * around
Rnd 4: sc2tog 9 times, FO

fill with beans then fill the top with stuffing.
with dark brown sew on stitches

Head

Rnd 1: with magic circle ch 1, 8 sc in ring
Rnd 2: 8 sc around
Rnd 3: *1 sc, 2 sc in next sc* rep from * to * around
Rnd 4: *2 sc, 2 sc in next sc* rep from * to * around
Rnd 5: *3 sc, 2 sc in next sc* rep from * to * around
Rnd 6: *4 sc, 2 sc in next sc* rep from * to * around
Rnd 7: sc in each sc around
Rnd 8: ch 3, sk 3, 2 sc, ch 3, sk 3, sc 16 (this creates the 2 holes for the eyes)
Rnd 9: *4 sc, sc2tog* rep from * to * around
Rnd 10: *3 sc, sc2tog* rep from * to * around
cut a small piece of plastic or cardboard big enough to go behind the eyes. This gives the Thimbles something to be glued to.
stick the thimbles through the holes and hot glue them to your piece of plastic or cardboard. Add a little glue around the

eye socket on the inside so the eyes don't slide around. Stuff head firmly.
Rnd 11: *2 sc, sc2tog* rep from * to * around
Rnd 12: sc2tog 8 times, 1 ss, FO, weave hole shut
sew head to body and then wrap yarn around neck a bunch of times to form a solid neck.

Feet (make 2)

Rnd 1: ch 8, turn, sc in 1 loop of the 2nd ch from hook,6 sc in top loops only,
3 sc in next sc, 6 sc along the other side in 1 loop only.
Rnd 2&3: sc in each sc around (15)
1 ss, FO, sew top shut and stuff as you sew.
sew feet to legs and wrap yarn around ankles a bunch of times.

Finishing touches:
Hot glue zipper on doll
add a 9 on the back with permanent marker
stuff thimbles and hot glue google eyes into it.
make a hand with pipe cleaners and wrap them with yarn. attach to arms and wrap yarn around wrist a bunch of times.

**********************************************************************
Creative Commons License
This work by April Folts is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

***********************************************************************
Any donations are welcome and appreciated.




30 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow what a great job..love it. Hope to see a pattern for it.

Cora

ginn said...

That is extremely awesome!

Laura Gerencser said...

Awesome!! I saw that movie; don't know what to think of it yet!:)

Anonymous said...

How cute.
I wanted to pop in to see how your dad is doing?

Jessica said...

That is too cute!!! My 2 yr loves that movie just for the "babies" lol.

Cindy said...

Great job, love it.

sapphirestarflake said...

This is sooo awesome!! I'd love to see a pattern as well! The eyes look soo neat! very creative!

Suburban Hooker said...

That is the most awesome of them all April!!! He does look good with both mouths. You did an excellent job but we knew you would now didn't we? LOL!!!

Molly said...

You have done a great job. Keep it up.

AprilDraven said...

Thank You so much everyone! I will try and get the pattern up for him soon :) I just have to finish the Hubby's Valentine's Day gift first.

needlekrafter said...

what an amazing resemblance! beautiful work!

sukigirl said...

I haven't seen the movie yet but that doesn't stop me from realizing what a great job you did!

Suburban Hooker said...

Oh that's excellent!!
He's on my list which is entirely toooooo lonnnnng!!!

AprilDraven said...

I know what you mean about long lists of stuff to do. I have a million ideas of things to make that I haven't even got to yet.

Lavinia said...

congratulations! you did a wonderful job! thank you so much for sharing the pattern.

AprilDraven said...

np :) I'm glad you like him

Unknown said...

Many thanks! very nice doll!

AprilDraven said...

Your Welcome :D

Rae said...

My grandson just seen this movie and asked "Grandma can you make me one of those 9 dolls. I told him grandma can't without a pattern and I did a search and wow.He is so excited. Thanks for sharing.

sateku said...

Wow, absolutely gorgeous! I love that movie.

Adam said...

Absolutely love it!

AprilDraven said...

Aww thanks. I am happy that so many people like it :D Sorry it took so long to respond. I have a full inbox and am just going through it now.

LeBron "The King" James 2306 said...

I love this kind of dolls, but last time I tried to make one to my daughter was terrible. I wasn't able not even to make its face.
xl pharmacy

Anonymous said...

Sin palabras! SOS UNA GENIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me encantó todo!!!
Cariños.
Majo.

barbara said...

April, this doll is so wonderful!!!! I also fell in love with this movie...I love his thimble eyes. You got him just right with or without a mouth.

Unknown said...

I was just wondering if there was a crochet version of 9 :) I just got a edgit hook so I may have to figure out how to incorporate a functional zipper instead of just decoration. Thank you for sharing the pattern!

Elena Gzz said...

Very very nice work!!

Emz said...

Wow you did an amazing job with him!!!! My daughter is in love with 9 she talks about him all day and she calls me 7 and daddy is 8 lol are you by chance selling these dolls or anyone one here I'm desperate to find one lol TIA!!!!

Maite said...

It is not well understood what the or recess to do the eyes is like. you made them with salts. but should they be very small?

Unknown said...

I understood a lot of it but my first time doing hands like this, is there another way that i may understand it? my hands come out like creepy deform sticks that doesn't look like a hand